[TriLUG] Redhat and Proliant DL380G3 - any issues?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 21:28:50 EST 2003

Fortunately he's going to put his own NIC's in the box, so as long as he
sticks to main brands, he should be fine and can even ignore the
built-in NIC.

All in all the system is a bit of an overkill for just simple security
scans.  If you're beefing this up with some RAM then you might want to
run OpenNMS on the beast.. OpenNMS incorporates Nessus into its
scanning, but gives you a more complete view of your network than just
the Nessus scans.

OpenNMS is an effort to build a fully distributed network management
platform providing both enterprise and element management capabilities,
using Java 2, XML/XSL and other open source projects/tools such as
RRDTool, Nessus, Tomcat, and PostgreSQL.

Nessus described (for those needing the clue stick):
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/nessusintro-part1.html

OpenNMS clue stick:
  http://www.opennms.org/

I use OpenNMS for my network monitoring (and I love it!).  Also, the
good folks that built and maintain it are members of TriLUG and have
sponsored a few meetings. :-)

PHB plus - there is also "Enterprise" level support for OpenNMS.  So
your PHB can actually pay for support, if he is so inclined (or he can
make *you* do the support).

Take care - Jon Carnes