[TriLUG] File permissions WRT NTFS -> SAMBA migration

Justin Johnson justin at deepbluesoftware.com
Tue Dec 30 22:12:17 EST 2003

So for a while now I have been putting off finishing up one of my year end
tasks, which is setting up a new file server for the office, replacing an
old NT 4.0 server. I am running RH 9.0 (for now) on the new box, and have
Samba set up to server the files.(All clients are Windows)Next step will be
to set up Samba users, groups, and then move the files from the old drive to
the new drive. Question is, when I copy the files from a NTFS partition to
an EXT3 partition, what will become of the file and folder permissions that
exist? Gone? The amount of files is not huge, so if I have to go back
through the directory structure and re-assign permission I guess I can, just
wondering if there is a lazier way. Actually, come tho think of it, all
permissions are set at the folder level now, so I won't have to mess with
individual files.

Thanks,
Justin