[TriLUG] Xmas wireless question

Dan Monjar daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com
Wed Dec 31 10:00:10 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, December 30, 2003 07:43:38 PM -0500 Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net>
wrote:

> 0's and 1's don't differentiate biz/home or brand.  before corporate out
> of nj laid down the law on their motorola router and frac t1 at my largest
> client, i had roadrunner biz class service at that site with fancy
> schamncy cisco 924 router.  it puked *3* times over 2 years while my
> residential roadrunner connection with motorola cable modem and linksys
> router kept on ticking.
>
> too bad corporate pays ten times as much and gets ten times less
> bandwidth. ah, the price of control.
>
> Mbps, IP, DNS and cost are all that matter.  everything else can just go
> home and is pure marketing fluff.

It all depends on where you stand... I'm responsible for a North American
network spanning 6 sites that supports over 1600 end users.  I've used
Cisco at my core and at the edges for close to 10 years now.  Out of 20 or
so key devices I can remember one or two instances of 'puking' in that
time.  At that, they were just power supplies and the redundant PS kept me
online while I hot-swapped the bad one.

Sure, I might pay $2000 for a router that you would choose to spend $200
on... but if one of my manufacturing sites goes down for a substantial
amount of time, and I am speaking in terms of hours, the lose could easily
be in the hundred's of thousand's of dollars.  This is both in terms of
lost production capacity and   of people sitting on their hands because
they can't get to their applications.

Equipment cost is a very small part of the equation...

--
Daniel Monjar
IS Manager, Technical Services