[TriLUG] Xmas wireless question

stan briggs stan at stanbriggs.com
Wed Dec 31 10:41:58 EST 2003

jim,

did you go to linda's funeral?

stan

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Ray
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 10:32 AM
To: 'Dan'; 'Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list'
Subject: RE: Re[2]: [TriLUG] Xmas wireless question

well, i have a confession.  one of my oldest customers, delta dental
plan of nc, has cisco infrastructure throughout and has operated
flawlessly since our initial installation in 1998.  there's a big
difference in cisco 924 and 2500, 2600, 3000 and 5000 series products.

my largest customer, tekni-plex, has some 21 plants in many different
countries.  they are a fool to cancel the local 1.5 Mbps time warner
roadrunner internet connection and pipe all as/400, smtp and http
traffic across a 64 kbps frac t1 even if the cisco 924 is trash.  there
is nothing wrong with having high quality wan connections with backup
for something like a mission-critical as/400.

my newest customer enjoys saving lots of money with their cable modem
and el cheapo router.  they do not depend on any connection at all to
conduct their business.

i'll take a cable modem and $60 linksys router any day of the week for
the Internet connection.  one may quickly determine the cost/bandwidth
ratio and uptime statistics to assist in deciding what topology is
appropriate.

i surely wouldn't want my business revolving around an Internet
connection, though...