[TriLUG] Fedora installation issue

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 7 22:58:55 EST 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 22:36, Roy Vestal wrote:
> I have another laptop that I *had* XP and FC1 installed dual-boot. I
> needed more HDD space for my XP partition, so I ghosted the partition,
> made XP bigger and I have been trying for 2 days to get FC1 to reinstall.
> Everytime, I get an error stating the setup I have "may" not work with my
> hardware configuration, esp the /boot partitition. However, It allows me
> to continue. When I get to the "Copying Install Image", it tells me there
> isn't enough HDD space. ARGH!!!
>
> Here's the disk setup:
> NTFS (XP) 10GB
> /boot 100MB
> swap 1498GB (784MB RAM)
> Extended partition
>  / 25GB
>
> Anyone see something wrong? Any suggestions?

Did enlarging the NTFS get you near or over the 1024 cylinder limit? Trying
reducing the NTFS and doing your FC1 install again.  If it works then the you
may want to more fully understand the issue with positioning /boot within the
1024 cylinder boundry (not on the boundry I saw today somewhere out there).

I just installed Knoppix above a 12GB NTFS.  Knoppix forces you to use only
two partitions: / and swap.  I thought I would get bitten by the 1024
cylinder problem but I didn't so I was able to avoid really understanding the
issue once more :-).  I'm using LILO.

--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)