[TriLUG] DNS

STaylor at srspos.com STaylor at srspos.com
Mon Jan 12 11:00:20 EST 2004

Nope,

These two machines are on the same subnet. There is no routing between
them.

Shawn

Shawn Taylor
Systech Retail Systems
Suite 200 - 5510 Six Forks rd.
Raleigh, NC 27609
1-800-232-0820 ext 127
staylor at srspos.com

                      Jon Carnes
                      <jonc at nc.rr.com>         To:       Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      trilug-bounces at tr        Subject:  Re: [TriLUG] DNS
                      ilug.org

                      01/12/2004 10:58
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      jonc; Please
                      respond to
                      Triangle Linux
                      Users Group
                      discussion list

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 10:04, STaylor at srspos.com wrote:
> Okay, sorry about the message. I moved back to notes rich text format.
> That should get rid of the html appendages.
>

> I am trying to ping the other machine on my local network by name. It is
> the machine that is actually running named.
>
> When I try to resolve an internet host name I get a response immediately.
> When I use dig to resolve an internal hostname I have no problem.
> It comes back with the name to IP resolution in a reasonable amount of
> time.
> When I use dig to resolve an external hostname I have no problem.
> It comes back with the name to IP resolution in a reasonable amount of
> time.
>
> However when I try to use a hostname in an application or even try to
ping
> catbert.cubeville.com it takes about 10 seconds to get a response and
each
> response after takes another 10 seconds.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shawn

Hmmm, Check for a routing problem:
  netstat -nr

If you have multiple interfaces defined, you might have a default route
for your internal traffic that is failing and then falling back to a
secondary.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes