[TriLUG] wildcard certificate question - off topic a bit

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Jan 12 13:51:51 EST 2004

lo at unc.edu wrote:

> This is a little off topic though we do use apache on
> primarily linux webservers, but I am researching certificate
> options as one of our current certs will be expiring soon.
> One option under consideration is to purchase a wildcard
> certificate to cover our current systems and any future
> ones as well.  My questions are:
>
> 1.  Has anyone had any experience with wildcard certificates
>     or had any problems with them?
> 2.  The certificate vendors all claim that most any browser
>     will work fine with a wildcard cert.  Has anyone run into
>     browsers that won't work with them?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Loren

Without any more information on the project, I have the following to
suggest:

1.  Wildcard certs.  Unless you have more systems than you can handle
individually, wildcard certs from the major venders are more expensive
than individual certs.  They still charge per machine.

2.  I haven't seen or heard of a browser that doesn't support them.

My thoughts:
Unless your potential connectees are infinite, i.e. some sort of web
store, you probably don't need a cert from Verisign/Thawte/whomever.
Just generate a self signed CA key, post the public key for all your
users to import, and generate keys signed by that one.  I've got one for
my employer to make mail connections with, I've also got one at home for
the same purpose.  My home cert is at
http://www.dragonstrider.com/security/cacert.pem if you'd like to import
it.  Try it out by connecting to https://www.dragonstrider.com/.

Joseph