[TriLUG] ldap authentication from Active directory or NTDS

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Tue Jan 13 22:16:15 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 06:23, Magnus wrote:

> I'm in the middle of doing something like this now at $WORK.  The gist
> of it is that Active Directory does not have the right schema to handle
> *NIX users, and must be extended.  For <$100 MSRP you can get MS
> Services For UNIX (SFU).  This will, among other things, extend you
> schema and give you MMC snap-ins to manage *NIX user attributes on the
> same objects as Windows users.  That's step one.

Gonna have to disagree with you here Chris. Once we were able to get the
right compile options, I was able to join to the AD and it works
perfectly authenticatin against the AD, Solaris, RedHat Linx 7.3 and 9.
"net ads join" worked great. Didn't have to spend the <$100.  :)

I'm working on a writeup that I can release that worked for us. But I
have to get legal authorization from work first (gotta protect my
assets).