[TriLUG] ldap authentication from Active directory or NTDS

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Thu Jan 15 09:42:47 EST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Turnpike Man wrote:

> I'm impressed.  Does this make what Roy was doing unnecessary hard work?

I can't say;  Roy has had to stay very tight-lipped about precisely what
he is doing until his employer clears him to share.

For my environment, the SFU route is probably best.  We are a primarily
Windows shop and I'm the only guy in MIS that can do more than spell
"Linux".  Using SFU means that there will be greater acceptance of Linux
by my esteemed colleagues once they see how easy it is to add the UID and
home directory bits in MMC to extend the AD user accounts to be
Linux-friendly.

There is already an explosion of it happening here at $WORK.  I can't go
into details but I've probably built as many Linux workstations
year-to-date as were deployed all of last year.  It's also exploding onto
other fronts.  The way my department is staffed, all of this new work is
falling disproportionately onto my shoulders alone.  By moving user
and group management into MMC, a nice chunk of my work can be shared with
the rest of my dept who has more Windows expertise.

AFS is part of my evil plan to make it easier for Windows users to
transition to Linux.  AFS works more consistently between the two
platforms so it is one less major thing to learn if you're already
accustomed to it on Windows.