[TriLUG] ldap authentication from Active directory or NTDS

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Thu Jan 15 10:46:49 EST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Jim Ray wrote:

> True confessions.  I'd like to catch you spewing winmail.dat one day :-)

Won't happen;  my Exchange server is properly configured.

Besides, I'm sending this from pine.

I said our shop is "primarily" windows, not "entirely".  We have a growing
contingent of Linux systems, but 70%+ of our systems do run Windows.  I
was hired primarily to handle "everything else" but still spend about half
my time fixing Windows stuff because the Linux systems generally work
well.

One caveat on that last statement;  we're experimenting with a change in
policy that gives users local root access to their Linux workstations.  I
can't say that it is a success or failure.  But there is a big shift in
the kind of problems I'm dealing with.  My help desk requests used to be
something like "I need to have package foo installed".  Now users can do
that themselves.  Instead I'm dealing with problems now where users screw
up their /etc/X11/XF86Config to something that flat out won't display, or
otherwise render their systems unusable in the quest to make games work or
play MP3's.  Too early to say whether I'm spending more time on these
issues or what.  But I'm really finding "clean up after stupid users" work
to be less enjoyable than things like refining my yum groups to
automagically deploy software to all my users.