[TriLUG] need help in port forwarding

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 15 10:59:37 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 03:21, Payal Rathod wrote:
> Hi,
> I saw your post on google. Can you help me with port forwarding?
> I need to use my friend's server - Mdk 9.2 machine as my proxy via. a
> ssh tunnel. It has squid running on it on port 3128 and I did,
>
> ssh -l payal -L 1080:127.0.0.1:3128 <ip>

Why are you using ssh to do local port forwarding (127.0.0.1) - or was
that just an example?

The proper syntax would be:
  ssh 1080:friends.server.com:3128 payal

And, you must set this up so that user "payal" can login without a
password via ssh to server "friends.server.com". This is easily done
following the step-by-step instructions also found in our archives

Once that is up and running, you can connect to local port 1080 and it
will act as though you are a local user on friends.server.com attaching
to port 3128.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes