[TriLUG] CCI machine Linux compatability

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:08:38 EST 2004

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for replying.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 crimsun at fungus.sh.nu wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:14:20PM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> They are Intels. I've a machine right in front of me right now running
> RH9 that supports it out of the box. (And yes, I'd venture it's a typo
> on that page).

The EtherExpress Pro 100?

> > As for the video card, it would also be useful to have more information.
> > The web page says "Intel Extreme Graphics 32MB" and "Open AGP slot NVIDIA
> > QUADRO-4 64mb" respectively.
>
> The Intel Extreme Graphics uses the i8xx chipset(s), and RH9 supports
> them out of the box as well via the i8[13]0 drivers for XFree86 4.3.0+.
> The situation is exactly the same as for the Nvidia Quadro4: 2D works
> fine out of the box. You will have to do some tinkering to achieve
> acceptable hardware-accelerated 3D performance (binary-only schtuff).
>
> > I see that Debian packages the nvidia driver, and the description
> > explicitly mentions the Quadro chipset. I used these drivers once and they
> > worked OK, but does anyone have any direct experience with the Quadro
> > chipset, specifically how it works with recent 2.4 kernels? Also, has
> > anyone any experience of using this with a flat-panel display?
>
> As I stated above, I'm currently using one such similarly-configured
> machine to respond to this email. Updated RH9 configuration works
> fine -- everything was detected, configured, and up and running within
> a blink.
>
> Some tips: 2D clarity with the Nvidia binary-only drivers ("nvidia")
> suffers dramatically compared with the stock ("nv") XFree86 4.3.0 one,
> so I would stay with nv unless you have a compelling reason to migrate
> to nvidia. Currently I'm using a Dell 1901fp flat-panel display at
> 1280x1024, and it's ... beautiful </wipes tear from eyes>. Crisp. You
> will probably have to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and add "1280x1024" to
> the list of modes if you wish to use this res since only up through
> 1024x768 were configured for this display.

I'd be happy just to get this to work at all. According to
http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/Status23.html#23 Quadro4 is not supported by
the nv drivers, though. What is the video card that you have?

I'm also just a little concerned about the binary drivers. Which kernel
version are you using?

                                                              Faheem.