[TriLUG] CCI machine Linux compatability

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 15 23:41:59 EST 2004

Hi again Daniel,

This is very helpful.

May I first ask you what is the actual model of the computer you are
referring to? I assume it is some similar IBM model?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 crimsun at fungus.sh.nu wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:08:38PM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> > The EtherExpress Pro 100?
>
> 02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
> is the information from lspci. It's using the e1000 kernel module.

Ah. Ok. That sounds good. I've never used one of the 1000 Gigabit Intel
drivers before, but I've used e100 which works well, and hopefully e1000
will work well too.

> > I'd be happy just to get this to work at all. According to
> > http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/Status23.html#23 Quadro4 is not supported by
> > the nv drivers, though. What is the video card that you have?
>
> I am _quite_ sure it works, or I would not be replying this instant.
> :-)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18GL [Quadro4 NVS] (rev
> a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> is the information from lspci. Keep in mind this is strictly the version
> of XFree86 distributed (well, upgraded) with Red Hat 9:
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux 9 release: 4.3.0-2.90.43)
> is the relevant information from X -version. Red Hat's XFree86 distro
> has a _ton_ of patches applied, but I'm using 4.3.0.1 from Debian
> experimental at home, and it runs the GF4 family (but not the newer
> FXes) just fine.
>
> In short, Quadro4 works fine.

Um, Ok, no offense intended. In that case it just makes me wonder why the
X people are under the impression that Quadro4 doesn't work with the 4.3
nv driver. :-)

I see that the upcoming 4.4 is listed as having support for Quadro4.

I'm not sure what the GF4 family is. I assume this includes Quadro4, then?

> > I'm also just a little concerned about the binary drivers. Which kernel
> > version are you using?

> This is stock RH9, no binary-only or anything.
> OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.20-28.9smp (bhcompile at porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
> version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 13:37:36 EST 2003
>
> My Debian experimental/sid/sarge machine at home runs 2.6.0-test11 with
> the binary-only "nvidia" drivers (1.0-5328) just fine.

Is this also with the Quadro4? The latest version of the nvidia drivers in
Debian is 1.0.4496. Are your drivers from experimental or did you get them
from nvidia.com directly?

So to summarise, you can drive the Quadro4 card on Debian using either the
nv driver or the binary-only nvidia drivers, both with X 4.3 from
experimental?

Forgive me if I seem dense, just trying to get it clear.

Hmm, I might try getting hold of the computer with the Nvidia card in that
case, and see if I can get Knoppix to autodetect it.

Might I trouble you for a copy of your Debian XF86Config-4, then? I'll
save it just in case.

BTW, I am very ignorant of such things, but does *any* non-digital video
card work for *any* analog flat-panel?

                                                            Faheem.