[TriLUG] SuSE 9.0 Pro YaST installation source media problem

Jesse Aaron Safir jesse_safir at unc.edu
Fri Jan 16 18:43:25 EST 2004

Ron et al,

> Yast is a bit picky about the way that you define he directory paths for
> reading packages from disk.
>
> The way I usually do that is make iso images of the individual disks:
> mkdir /SuSE
> mkdir /SuSE/ISO
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/SuSE/ISO/9_cd1.iso
> mkdir /SuSE/cd1
> mount -o loop /SuSE/ISO/9_cd1.iso /SuSE/cd1
> and repeat for the rest of the disks (just replace cd1 with cd2)
> Then in yast, software - Change Source of Installation, and add a new local
> directory of /SuSe/cd1.
>
> Make sure you turn off the initial entry for the cd.
>
> That should do it. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Okay...I followed the instructions but when I bring up YaST, my only
choices for "Filter" are Selections, Package Groups, Search, Installation
Summary.  When I used the CDs before and went to "Selections", it would
show both the installed packages and the NOT installed ones.  Now that I
have the ISO images on the hard drive and have mounted them, it only shows
me what I already have installed.  How do I get YaST to show me ALL of the
packages on the mounted ISO images and not just the ones I already have
installed?

Thanks...

 *  Jesse Aaron Safir, Chief Windows Systems Engineer   *
 *   ITS Server Farm Group, AIS Distributed Computing   *
 *       440 West Franklin Street, CB# 1150, UNC        *
 *  Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1150, jesse.safir @ unc.edu   *
 *   919-962-4720(w), 919-216-1605(p), 919-260-8686(m)  *