[TriLUG] A couple of requests from the folks at our YATL

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 21 02:08:09 EST 2004

On Monday 20 January 2003 05:02 pm, you wrote:
> Here are a couple of topics that were kicked around at the Yet Another
> Trilug Lunch.
>
> ===
>
> One of the folks attending stated again that he had a hard time laying
> hands on a monthly Linux Journal (is that the right mag?) - the one that
> comes with the DVD. It was suggested that TriLUG subscribe with the
> subscription going to the person who maintains the library.
>
> ===
>
> Folks liked the RPM class, but some of the newer-to-linux folks want a
> more basic RPM class - something that points out what RPM actually does
> and why it does it - with some push-button documentation on how to
> handle the most common tasks like:
>
> How to find help in rpm:
>   rpm --help
>
> Installing a new app:
>   rpm -i <app.name.rpm>
>
> Upgrading an existing app:
>   rpm -U <app1.name.rpm app2.name.rpm app3.name.rpm>
>
>   You can upgrade multiple RPMs simultaneously so you can
>   satisfy dependencies - ie. cant upgrade <this> till you
>   upgrade <that>, but you can't upgrade <that> till you
>   upgrade <this>, the old "catch22". So you upgrade both
>   at the same time:
>     rpm -U this.rpm that.rpm
>
> How to remove an app that was installed via RPM:
>   rpm -e <app.name.rpm>
>
> How to list the exact names of the RPMs (applications) that are already
> installed:
>   rpm -qa
>
> To find out information about an RPM and any setup notes, including
> things you must do after installing the RPM in order for it to work
> properly,
>
>   For an RPM that has already been installed:
>     rpm -qi <app.name>
>
>   For an RPM that you want to install (and the RPM is in
>   the current directory):
>     rpm -qip <app.name.rpm>
>
>   Some RPM's (like apache-common) have no special instructions
>   or any tasks to do after install, but others outline additional
>   tasks that the user must do in order to get the RPM working
>   properly (apache-mod_perl is an example of that).
>
> ===
>
> The newer-to-Linux folks are also looking forward to the "Working/Living
> with Linux" class.  They want to know the basics of things like setting
> up email clients and web-browsers - not to mention all the other things
> like accessing and writing documents, presentations, and spreadsheets.
>
> This seems like a class that should be repeated a couple of times a
> year.  It might also be a good out-reach class for businesses, showing
> them that the average user can thrive with Linux on the desktop in place
> of other proprietary OSes.
>
> ===
>
> These are just some of the topics we discussed at one end of the table.
> The lunch and the conversation were both great!  Thanks for setting it
> up Chris!
>
> Jon Carnes

> [...]
I believe the name of the magazine he's searching for is LINUX FORMAT
magazine.  It is available at the two bookstores in Cary --- Barnes and Noble
and Borders--- But it sells like crazy so I have to constantly check these
two bookstores about twice a week until each monthly issue arrives. Linux
Format magazine would be an excellent magazine for Trilug to collect and
catalogue because they usually have disks for installing just about any
distribution you can name, including the latest Mandrake and Red Hat
distributions, not to mention distributions I've never heard of before, e.g.
Slackware, etc. etc.  There are two versions to this magazine; you can
purchase them in either DVD or CD-R versions.  Naturally there is more Linux
software on the DVD version.  They put the distributions on the DVD in ISO
format which means you have to burn the install CD's from these ISO's.  Also
there is a slight price difference between these two editions, the DVD issue
is usually about a dollar more than the CD version. ----  Al Johnson.