[TriLUG] Voice over IP solutions for Linux

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 21 09:56:20 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 09:45, H Brett Bolen wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
>
> > So the cost of a small Biz phone switch +phones would be:
> >   8 phones   = 8 * $100 = $800
> >   3 co lines = 3 * $100 = $300
> >   ----------------------------
> >   total                  $1100
> >

> gnophone is a free software voip phone for linux and
> sipphone.com has one for win32, so it could be
> much cheaper.

Absolutely.  Unfortunately the quality of the call is not nearly as good
as what you get with a VoIP phone - especially if you have a few memory
hogging apps up and running when the call comes in!

The soft-phones (using your sound card and your PC) are definitely cool,
but I wouldn't run a business off them yet.

Jon Carnes