[TriLUG] Adding to the list of topics: IPv6

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Wed Jan 21 12:13:41 EST 2004

Jon Carnes [jonc at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> Full scale implementations of IPv6 are expected to to blossom in 2005.
> It will start in places like China (already working on  several large
> scale roll-outs of internet access via IPv6), and it will move around
> the world.

I'm not convinced.  China has their national firewall.  They can use
whatever addresses behind that thing that they want, and still speak
ipv4 to the world.

> Currently most of us connect to the internet using IPv4, which has a
> built-in limitation on the number of IP addresses available: ~ 4.3
> billion, that's not a lot when you consider that there are in excess of
> 6 billion computing devices in the world today.

So?  There are not ~ 4.3 billion 'servers'.  Never will be.  From my
workstation, I don't need to have a direct conversation with your
workstation.

> IPv6 offers a virtually infinite number of Internet addresses: ~
> 340000000000000000000000000000000000000 usable ip addresses. It also
> offers better security, easier multicasting, and simplified routing
> (organizations no longer need to use NAT).

Why -not- use NAT?  NAT is a good thing.  See above.

Also, NAT hides a lot of information.  This is a good thing.

> If this is going to take the world by storm over the next year or three,
> we should definitely be in the know about it.

Bah.  Three years for a start, maybe.  I'm having a hard time seeing the
need for ipv6 anytime soon.

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak