[TriLUG] IP Phone

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 21 13:30:10 EST 2004

There are designers on the Asterisk list that can answer that question
better than me but I'll take a whack at it.

The problem your describing was very much a limitation of early VoIP
implementations. They've gotten around it in a few ways, but the primary
method is to implement QoS on the network. In that way the latencies
don't change and the Voice (carrier signal) traffic flows quickly from
the server to the modem or fax.

Additionally we mark the extension as Fax/Modem and remove any stutter
controls and compression - so that the original tone signal arrives as
quickly as possible and as unchanged as possible to and from the modem.

It obviously works as we have many clients with faxes and even modems -
all of which work fine.

Note: we have seen some problems with older modems, but when replaced by
newer modems the problems went away. To me that indicates that the
signaling provided by VoIP is just on the edge of acceptability.

Jon Carnes