[TriLUG] looking for mass-email software

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Jan 21 14:26:28 EST 2004

I need to send e-mails to a large group of people (specifically,
a club membership).  I've looked at a number of solutions, but
all have fallen short of my requirements:

1) Easy to re/import the e-mail addresses from a text file
2) complete control of sender and reply-to headers, regardless
    of what SMTP server I route the e-mails through
3) customization of each message with the To: headers for each
    recipient set accordingly (and no listing of the other recipients)
4) no headers, footers or other content other than my intended message

I'd been using mailman on my linux server, but it falls short on #2,
unless somebody can tell me how to get around that.  I can't find a
way to override the "From:" header -- it seems to be linked to the
preferred domain - I need the e-mails to come 'from' the domain of
the organization - and I have no control over their server.

The online solutions I've explored (e.g. Yahoo! Groups) also fall short
of the above requirements or are too expensive.  Either linux or windows
solutions are acceptable - although a linux server-based solution would
be preferred.  Since this is a non-profit organization, cheap is good.
I'm willing to pay, if I find a _very good_ program.  Anything less and
it must be free.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Chris

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software