[TriLUG] Adding to the list of topics: IPv6

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jan 21 16:28:36 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 15:26, Mike Johnson wrote:
> Jon Carnes [jonc at nc.rr.com] wrote:
>
> > Well how about the Japanese who are also working on their IPv6 "WIDE"
> > project.  They have massive corporate support. And of course there are
> > hundreds of IPv6 global inititives (China just has some of the largest
> > implementations).
>
> That's great.  I'm very happy for them.  But I still haven't seen that
> 'killer app' which -requires- the use of IPv6.  Until then, I'll sit in
> my corner and grumble about the good 'ole days.
>
> > You say that now, but manufacturers want to make just about any device
> > that uses information internet accessible. And they want to talk
> > directly from device to device - with both sides being able to initiate
> > the flow of data (something that NAT prohibits).
>
> But I don't -want- my oven talking to your freezer.  I don't even see it
> as a good idea to allow direct device to device connections over the
> Internet.  Manufacurers can want it until they're blue in the face.
> There has to be a pretty compelling reason to allow this nightmare to
> take place.

And there is!  Its called my d*mn cell phone.

We *do* need the greater number of IPs that IPv6 gives us.  And we need
them NOW.  I want my cell phone and PDA and whatever else to run a web
server.  And I want to be able to connect to them from my laptop or any
other machine even when they're parked on my dining table at home and
I'm at the office.

And while I'm no network guru, I think its a shame that IPv6 wasn't
designed in a way that more-or-less seamlessly extended IPv4.  Can
anyone give a solid reason why all the current IPv4 address aren't
automatically mapped to valid IPv6 addresses?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com