[TriLUG] Adding to the list of topics: IPv6

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Wed Jan 21 23:53:41 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:38:36PM -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:
> None of these things is from the future. They exist now, but they need
> the infrastructure and security that comes with IPv6 in order to
> function properly.

I look forward to the security that IPv6 purports. Unfortunately, the
only _practical_ one that I've seen in use, as of last night when a
dozen or so people idling on an EFnet channel were DDoSed, is that of
kiddies being too lazy to rig the tunnels. In a sense, it's a big
"security by obscurity" from this perspective.

I'm not skeptical of said purported security. Ultimately the infra-
structure is nice, but we won't be able to skirt the human factor.
With juvenile approaches to "problem solving" (see aforementioned DDoS)
and our increasing reliance on "just make things work, durnit" we're
still a long way from actually using IPv6 to anything near its promise.

-Daniel

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc