[TriLUG] Adding to the list of topics: IPv6

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Thu Jan 22 06:31:07 EST 2004

On Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 11:38  PM, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Your Refrigerator will come with a bar code reader and will connect up
> to your favorite grocery chain (Lowes Food).

Not likely.  By the time this hits, RFID tags will be ubiquitous.  And
it won't just be contacting your favorite food chain.

>  When you run out of milk,
> you'll push the request button and then scan the old milk carton in
> (before tossing it in the recycle bin).

Nah.  Your trash can will also have an RFID scanner.  If something is
pulled from the fridge and dumped into the trashcan, the order is
automatically placed.

> Your camera has a nice built in buffer and it can store up to a 100
> large shots, and when it gets a nice signal for internet access it logs
> in remotely to your PC and dumps those shots in the buffer out to your
> harddrive.

As if cameras don't go through batteries fast enough, we gotta give
them an 802.11* adapter to hurry things along more.

I don't really see this one coming as storage is pretty cheap, cheaper
than network-enabling cameras.  I have yet to see the other end of my
128M memory card in my 2MP camera.   3MP and 4MP cameras are more
common now, but then so are 256M memory cards or 1G-4G miniature hard
disks.

> You never load film, and you don't mess with wire hook-ups
> to your home-based PC or your walk-about tablet.

This doesn't require an IP address.  It just requires proximity and
bluetooth.

> The photo frame on your desk logs into your PC remotely and draws from
> the new pictures and displays them one at a time for ten seconds each.

This one irks me.  The technology is here now for digital picture
frames, and they should be ~$100 at this point.  I went shopping before
Christmas hoping to get a couple of these for my wife.  I could only
find one, and don't you know it the thing needs a modem connection and
you have to pay a third party service to manage your pictures for you.
Everyone is always after that recurring monthly payment to keep up a
revenue stream.  Me?  I just want a picture frame that I can directly
transfer pictures to or stick a memory card in that has a couple dozen
pictures on it.

> None of these things is from the future. They exist now, but they need
> the infrastructure and security that comes with IPv6 in order to
> function properly.

Bluetooth can already do a lot of this without an IP address needed.
Then again it hasn't exactly exploded onto the industry like everyone
predicted.  And still, IPv4 can handle this just fine if the protocols
being used are secure.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish