[TriLUG] Adding to the list of topics: IPv6

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Thu Jan 22 15:38:38 EST 2004

I prefer to look at NAT as not delegating an entire set of machine as
second class citizens. Instead I tend to think of the machines behind
NAT/Firewall as children not yet battle hardened enough to handle the
real world. A prime example is my wife's Windows box. It just isn't
ready for all the bullies on the net. Anti-Virus software is like using
tissue paper for a bullet proof vest. If the bullets a dud you are all
right, if not then pray for a poor marksman.

NAT is no excuse for poor internal security, but it does allow a certian
amount of flexibity and breathing room on internal systems. Think of it
as a gated community. Only a truely skilled and determined thug can get
in to bang on your door (unless you've left the gate open of course).

-Weave