[TriLUG] cd //

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 14:50:14 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:42, Ron Joffe wrote:
> I got a quickie question for those of you in the know.
>
> By mistake one of my clients did a cd /$ORACLE_HOME where
> ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle.
>
> The resultant is that their prompt showed:
>
> server_name://opt/oracle>
>
> So I played around a bit with it, and it seems that you can prepend the
> extra / easily.
>
> The question is does this have any significance ? I did notice that this seems
> to be bash shell specific, i.e. the behavior is not found in ksh or csh.

That's pretty interesting; it seems like a bash bug to me.  I don't
think it would matter, as consecutive slashes are always condensed to a
single slash when a file is being opened, etc, but it's still odd.  I
noticed it only does this with exactly two slashes, and that it also
shows up in the output of 'pwd' :

jeremy at jeremy ~ $ cd /var
jeremy at jeremy /var $ cd //var
jeremy at jeremy //var $ pwd
//var
jeremy at jeremy //var $ cd ///var
jeremy at jeremy /var $ cd ////var
jeremy at jeremy /var $ rpm -q bash
bash-2.05b-34
jeremy at jeremy /var $ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)

--Jeremy, a little curious too.