[TriLUG] NFS/Netapp Filer with Linux servers

Errol Casey errol at nouce.net
Fri Jan 23 18:10:48 EST 2004

I've recently encountered some issues with NFS on linux servers mounting
to a Netapp F825 server.

Linux servers running cgi based shopping cart programs seem to have really
slow response. General cgis and web requests are running reasonably well.
Only shopping carts seem to be affected by the NFS mounted i/o which seems
really werid.

Monitoring the NFS traffic there is a large amount of getattr, setattr
traffic on the Netapp filer.

I've not been able to find good documentation on what good tuned values
are for actimeo are on Linux NFS clients are so the clients are just using
the defaults that come with the current kernel (2.4.24)

We have tried udp and tcp (we are using NFS v3).

Any suggestions? Does anybody have a copy of NFS Illustrated they would be
willing to lend, I've tried to find a copy from the library (via
inter-library loan but haven't had any luck, don't have the cash handy to
go out and by a personal copy).

Thanks.