[TriLUG] Microsoft NC Case

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 26 00:23:43 EST 2004

No, but interestingly enough, I did receive a copy of Microsoft Windows
Services for Unix 3.5 (full, free copy) with my February issue of SysAdmin
magazine (a must subscribe for those of you involved in sysadmin, be it
Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Linux, or other *nix).  I find it even more interesting
that it tells me straight out on the CD sleeve that no registration or
activation is required.  That tells me that they're making a big push to
pull Unix users into the Microsoft fold, even if it means that they don't
find out who they are so they can target the marketing machine at them.
Nonetheless, since it does operate on Win2k Pro (SP 3 or later), I'm
thinking of giving it a shot.  Like it or not (and honestly, I don't much
mind), interoperability is a major issue with most IT environments, and I am
in favor of any tool that allows that interoperability to happen.  I may
even try to recommend this (assuming I like it) for certain applications in
my work environment.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--