[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 27 00:27:51 EST 2004

Actually, DNS that's on the same subnet isn't redundant.  To be truly
redundant, DNS servers must be on separate subnets, preferably in different
locations, and at the very least on different power sources.  Having your
servers on different UPSes fed by different generators and plugged into
different switches is about the only way I'm comfortable calling DNS
redundant on the same subnet (subnet VLAN spanned across two
switches/routers).  Any DNS that you doubt me on, check it against
http://www.dnsreport.com/.  It flags yellow for any domain where the DNS
servers are on the same subnet.  And yes, I know, RR's DNS servers are on
the same subnet, but their infrastructure is as mentioned above (separate
power circuits, switches, etc.).  Now I have to read my terms of employment
and hope I didn't give anything away here.....

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--