[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Tue Jan 27 10:55:23 EST 2004

i never said that i "needed" a /29, just that i had one :-)  actually,
there are many cases where it comes in handy.  admittedly, there are
ways around some of these using enough networking-fu but i don't enjoy
having to reconfigure my setup every time i want to do something
different:

1. when i was hosting my own web and mail, it allowed me to run the
public server on its own IP, rather than sticking it behing my nat
router and messing around with port forwarding.

2. i build, configure, and test linux servers for my clients.  when i
want to test out a mail server, i can just assign it a public IP and
plug it in without affecting any other part of my network.

3. i was playing around with vmware last month, trying to set up
multiple w2k sessions that would each have its own IP in a production
setting.  with a /29 i just give each VM an IP from my pool and bridge
them to the physical ethernet interface.  pretty hard to do that with a
single public IP.  worked like a charm btw :-)

jason