[TriLUG] how do I add an email account

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Jan 27 11:26:11 EST 2004

Cyrus is an alternate IMAP implementation.

It's different from UW-IMAP in that:
A.   It's configurable without having to recompile
B.   It uses maildir instead of Mbox*
C.   It can be configured to use PAM or sasl for authentication.
D.   Users do not require their own home directories.  (Other things
like spam assassin may require it however).

It's different from Courier in that:
A.   It adds an index to the maildir format to speed access.*
B.   It allows for things like anonymous or shared mailboxes with a full
  access control list implementation.
C.   It uses SIEVE for mail filtering.
D.   It's scalable: MURDER can be used to host different mailboxes on
different servers.

It can be downloaded from http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/ for
source distributions, http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/ if
you're using a Red Hat derivative, emerge from gentoo, urpmi from
Mandrake, yast2 from SuSE, dpkg from debian, etc.

It's not the easiest system to configure and install, but once up and
running, it's the fastest and most configurable IMAP server I've ever used.

The best HowTo for getting the thing set up and running that I know of
is http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/html/
ignoring the stuff about Web-cyradm (unless you want to do pure virtual
domain hosting).  There is also lots of good stuff at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Cyrus-IMAP.html.

There's a user creation script in Perl on trilug's gForge site:
http://forge.trilug.org/snippet/detail.php?type=snippet&id=1.  It can
help you get started on mailbox creation, and adding the user to the
sasldb.  (It'll also do LDAP, but that part's broken right now).

Joseph
(Cyrus-IMAP admin)

* Cyrus-IMAP's mail storage implementation is maildir, but indexing is
done on the messages to speed access.