[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 13:45:16 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 07:06, Magnus wrote:
> On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 09:31  PM, Jon Carnes wrote:
>
> > A /29 gives you 6 usable IP addresses - one must be used for the
> > gateway, so that leave 5 for other purposes.  To setup a Domain, you're
> > supposed to give the Internic two separate IP addresses - One for your
> > Primary DNS, the Second for you Secondary DNS server.
>
> The second DNS server should be on a different network from the first.
>
> The DNS and other services can share one IP address by port forwarding
> at the gateway.
>
> For most SOHO's this can be done with but a single IP.
>
> As for DNS, best to leave that to one of the well run third party DNS
> providers.  Sure, it's something you can do yourself if you want.  But
> why bother when you have free providers like EveryDNS who will do it
> for you for free?  And you can never hope to reach the levels of
> redundancy that they can boast of.

I knew that someone was going to post this, and I have to respectfully
respond: bullshit.

On a /29 network there is little if any need for a remote secondary
DNS.  If you are having enough problems on your little external network
to knock two out of five machines off that network, then who cares if
your DNS is working - no one can reach you anyway!

Now don't get me wrong... I *do* recommend getting an off network
secondary DNS, especially if you can get an off network secondary mail
server as well (to cache your incoming mail when you fall down and go
boom). But treating a small /29 domain like an enterprise domain is
*not* necessary and can add prohibitive cost.

> With things like port forwarding and reverse proxying you can do some
> amazing things with just one IP address.  You'd never know that traffic
> coming into my one IP could be directed into any one of half a dozen
> servers (to say nothing of all the other boxes hiding behind NAT).

Yep, I run a really nice network behind my firewall.  Still if I want to
host a domain I'll need two static IP's (not necessarily my own) for the
Primary and Secondary Named server.  Still, I like to host my own DNS
and mail, and /29 works just fine for that (brining it back to the
original question: what good is a /29).

Jon