[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 14:25:11 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 13:54, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
>

> > I knew that someone was going to post this, and I have to respectfully
> > respond: b.
> >
> > On a /29 network there is little if any need for a remote secondary
> > DNS.  If you are having enough problems on your little external network
> > to knock two out of five machines off that network, then who cares if
> > your DNS is working - no one can reach you anyway!
>
> Jon,
>
> I have to respectfully point out to you at least one example where
> your example is, in your words, "b".
>
> That is when you have a offsite backup mx.  If your mailserver is
> down for some reason, an offsite backup mx can save that mail for
> you and can even be configured to keep trying to deliver for
> longer than the normal smtp timeouts would be.  If, however, the
> sending machine doesn't know where to find the backup mx (because
> you thought that putting both DNS servers on the same subnet
> wouldn't be any problem), then you are hosed.  So, I would say,
> it's in general a good rule to have offsite DNS.
>
> That's only one example.  I'm sure, however, there are others.
> Anyone care to post some?
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

<re-adding context back in that you dropped - which mysteriously
addresses your email - making me wonder why you sent it>

"Now don't get me wrong... I *do* recommend getting an off network
secondary DNS, especially if you can get an off network secondary mail
server as well (to cache your incoming mail when you fall down and go
boom). But treating a small /29 domain like an enterprise domain is
*not* necessary and can add prohibitive cost."

Cheers,
Jon