[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill - the $50 question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 14:42:55 EST 2004

Any decent router will work. I believe that TimeWarner can even deliver
multiple static IP's to a user via their cable network.

If folks are getting their network access from us via T1 we usually drop
in a Cisco router and then pass traffic to them based on their subnet. A
Linux box with a Sangoma WanPipe card would work just as well. If we
serve them via Windchannel (metro-wireless), then Windchannel drops in a
wireless router to the premises and routes traffic to them using the
subnet (/29).

The router that is dropped onto the premises takes up one of the
addresses from the /29. You can hook that router up to a switch (or hub)
and then hook up your other external servers to the same switch (or
hub).  Each of those servers can use one of your external IP's.

In general one of those servers is a firewall (with two nics - one
external, the other internal).

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 10:55, Jim Ray wrote:
> Ok.  So, here's the $50 question...
>
> How do you pipe the /29 into customer premises?  Me thinks we're talking
> about a real router instead of a Linksys that sniffs out a single IP from
> the ISP.

Yep.

> If I were to hang a switch on the Ethernet port of the DSL modem, plug a box
> into a port, and assign one of those static IPs, am I on the Internet or no?

Yep.