[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Jan 27 14:56:36 EST 2004

Carl Lindner wrote:

> Actually, if you guys don't mind me jumping into this thread.  I'm
> curious that if you do have multiple MX records for email defined....
> how exactly do you go about synchronizing them without the user having
> to pop/imap to multiple machines to retrieve their email from secondary
> backup servers?

The secondary MX forwards to the primary when it comes back up.  The
clients all connect to the IMAP server (usually the primary MX, but
doesn't have to be).

Trilug Offers secondary MX services to registered members.  That's where
my 2nd MX is located.  See output of "dig MX dragonstrider.com" for more
information.

As for DNS, I use zoneedit.com.  Very reliable, and free for the first 5
domains.  Fairly inexpensive thereafter.

Joseph