[TriLUG] Re: NFS/Netapp Filer with Linux servers

John Reuning john at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Jan 27 22:07:43 EST 2004

Looks like this thread didn't receive much attention.  Here are a few
more suggestions:

1. Check out the netapp nfs linux client performance tuning document.
http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3183.html

It covers things such as kernel rmem & wmem settings, using tcp, and
adjusting read & write block sizes.  On a side note, this is entirely
client-side tuning for use with netapp filers.  Some of these
suggestions cause instability or poor performance when using linux nfs
servers.

2. There's a max number (256, I think) of outstanding r/w requests per
mountpoint in 2.4 kernels.  If you think this might be an issue, try
breaking up the nfs exports.

3. Check out research papers at the citi site for some excellent
technical & research information.
http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfs-perf

4. If you're using redhat kernels, try building the latest in the RHEL
2.1 2.4.9 series or 2.4.18 series.  Depending on the application and the
system load, older kernels sometimes hold up to stress better.

5. I'm sure the netapp folks will have addressed this, but make sure
your network links are fast and clean.

And for more basic linux nfs information, there's always the nfs howto.
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

Finally, one question: is the shopping cart a write-heavy application?
Netapps are raid-3-ish storage, right?  Have the netapp folks given
recommendations on raid volume size?

Hope this helps,

-jrr