[TriLUG] Re: NFS/Netapp Filer with Linux servers

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 09:25:53 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 09:11, Errol Casey wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, John Reuning wrote:
>

> > 2. There's a max number (256, I think) of outstanding r/w requests per
> > mountpoint in 2.4 kernels.  If you think this might be an issue, try
> > breaking up the nfs exports.
> So are you saying if I have the following mount points
>
> 10.1.1.2:/vol0/nfs1   /export/home
> 10.1.1.2:/vol0/nfs2   /export/home2
>
> That on each linux NFS client there could only by one r/w request on
> to each mount point. I'm not sure I complete understand the ramifications
> of this point; but would like to because we have a large number of
> directories under each mount point so this may be important.

What he's saying is that you might want to use more mounting points to
gain more r/w requests being processed simultaneously.

In otherwords don't just mount /export/home but mount:
  /export/home/user1
  /export/home/user2
  /export/home/userN

Each mount is handled by a different process, each process can only
handle a specific number of read/write requests - so the more NFS
processes you throw at it, the more simultaneous read/writes you can do.