[TriLUG] iChat to GnomeMeeting (or simialer)

Bill Vinson mailing_lists at vinsonweb.com
Wed Jan 28 19:40:13 EST 2004

David,

The video conferencing portion of uses SIP for signaling, H.263 for
video, and PureVoice QCELP (Quicktime Audio Codec) for sound.
GnomeMeeting uses H.323 (same as Microsoft's NetMeeting).
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to interact.  Based on my
limited understanding of this, H.323 has historically had problems or
difficulties with NAT.  I believe iChat shares some features in common
with VOIP (SIP is what I am thinking of here) and is designed to work
even if NAT is used.  This is why I think Apple may have gone a
different route.  I could be wrong on some (or all) of this, but I
think that is the situation...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
Bill