[TriLUG] Odd problem with RH8.0 box

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Thu Jan 29 14:00:02 EST 2004

Peter,

You might want to try badblocks in NON-DESTRUCTIVE (read) mode from a
rescue disk just to verify that the disk is not going bad. Just because
fsck doesn't show any errors doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

A successful babblocks read-mode test it not a guarentee either. I've
had disks that passed the read-mode, but failed the destructive write
mode test. However if your disk is having problems that are manifesting
as a system lock then the read-mode will probably catch it.

If you do use the badblocks program backup your data. One bad flag and
you data is toast!

- -Weave

P.S. badblocks is usually located in /sbin and is part of the e2fsprogs
RPM on Redhat 9.