[TriLUG] Mozilla 1.6 fonts

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 23:21:09 EST 2004

I just installed Mozilla 1.6 on my Fedora Core/1 system.  Previously I
was running Mozilla 1.4.1 that comes packaged with Fedora.  I noticed
almost immediately that the fonts are kind-of icky, especially viewing
/.  The selection of fonts in 1.6 runs along the line of:

adobe-times-iso8859-1
adobe-helvetica-iso8859-1
etc.

Also, when I tried changing to other fonts (urw-nimbus or b&h-luxi) they
don't get anti-aliased.  Really icky.

My Mozilla 1.4.1 has basic font names like serif, sans-serif, URW
Nimbus, etc.  Is this some kind of modification that fedora does before
packaging, or is it in the version of Mozilla?  Can I make 1.6 use the
nicer fonts by changing some config file.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the X font system vs.
gnome.  I've run into font issues before and gotten lost in docs, so if
someone can offer a relatively simple solution that would be great.
Otherwise just tell me to go back to using 1.4.1.

Thanks,
Tim
--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at nc.rr.com>