[TriLUG] a 'non-windows' method to upgrade BIOS/firmware?

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 30 10:24:30 EST 2004

I have had the exact same experiences, except here are my problems
(with some other random info):

--> I'm using DVD-RW media, which burn & verify OK under OS X.

What I did:

dvd+rw-format -force /dev/cdrom
mkisofs -r -v -J -V data -o file.iso data_dir
growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom=file.iso

The burn /seemed/ to go OK, but when I tried to verify it ...

1. cmp /dev/cdrom file.iso
   --> got an I/O error
2. find /mnt/cdrom -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum >| ~/digest.disc
   --> got an I/O error

I was hoping that upgrading the firmware of the unit might help out,
but ... not sure!  Again, it seems I can burn things just fine under OS
X with the *exact* same media.  I've tried it with 2 DVD-RW discs.

Anyone know why I might get an I/O error ... bad burn?  media?
read/dma settings?

Doug