[TriLUG] Kernel Question

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Sun Feb 1 12:32:27 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 1, 2004, at 12:07  PM, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:

> Hey Kevin, that brings me to a question.  Do you guys ever plan to do a
> RHEL for the Sparc processor family, I have 23 machines at work that
> are
> SPARC based and we have had to hunt, scrounge, jury rig anything to put
> Linux on them.

This is answered pretty well in the Aurora mailing list archives, which
are worth looking up.  Basically Linux/SPARC is a tiny niche with high
support costs so don't hold your breath.  There is a very remote chance
that Fedora Core 2 will run on SPARC but probably a more realistic
chance of Fedora Core 3.

Of course you have Debian & OpenBSD that run very well on SPARC, Aurora
Linux 1.0 (if you don't mind running Red Hat Linux 7.3), and some
others that claim at least to install on SPARC.

There is some momentum building for cAos to run on SPARC, and already
some people working on that.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish