[TriLUG] LaTeX tables - ascii input?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Feb 10 09:27:16 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 08:51, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> Sorry if this is a basic LaTeX question, but I left my 'LaTeX for
> Beginners' book @ home (and I'm @ school).
>
> Is there a way to take some sort of delimited text file and 'import' or
> 'source' (similar, but not, to the 'include' function) it in my LaTeX
> file?  For instance, say I have a file with the following data:
>
> # file = table.ascii
> 1,2,3,4,5
> 2,4,6,8,10
> 3,6,9,12,15
>
> and I want to make table of this data (say, in total, 100 rows long ...
> just to bring home the point I do not want to add this info directly to
> the LaTeX file itself).
>
> How might I do that?

Hi Doug,

TMTOWTDI!

Oh, wait, this is LaTeX, not PERL...  ;-)

But seriously, there are multiple ways to do tables:

  1) in a separate file, format the table using TeX and then
     just \input{} it

  2) create the table using some completely different tool
     (OpenOffice?) and then include it as an Encapsulated
     PostScript figure:

       At the very start (just after \documentclass[...]{...}):

         \usepackage[dvips]{epsfig}
         \def\scalefig#1{\epsfxsize #1\textwidth}

       and then to insert the figure:

         \begin{figure}
           \centerline{
             \scalefig{.95}
             \epsfbox{path/to/some/file.eps}
           }
           \caption{Schematic of ...}
           \label{FIG:eg-baro-simulation_config}
         \end{figure}

 3) same as #2 but use a completely *separate* LaTeX document to
    produce the table on a very large paper size and then take
    advantage of the vector nature of the PS/EPS to scale it to
    fit nicely on your 8.5x11 paper (small font but still looks
    fairly good *and* fits)

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com