[TriLUG] Server suggestion for RH 9.0

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Tue Feb 10 11:59:13 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> As for hardware, I've had good luck with Dell servers.  They generally
> (but not always) have decent support for the hardware components in
> Linux.  One problem might be the Broadcom gigabit network cards that are
> in some servers these days; I don't know what the current state of
> support for those is.

I had lots of problems with these in a Dell server circa RHAS 2.1.

Red Hat Linux 9 was much better.  I'm hoping that, by extension, RHEL (and
by nested extension, CentOS & WBEL) would work as well.  I use CentOS
these days but not Dell servers anymore.  I am using CentOS on some late
model  HP
desktops with Broadcom gigabit (though a slightly different chipset from
the Dell servers, IIRC) and it works like a champ.

> But if you can get it with Intel e1000, or just
> standard e100, you'll be fine.

I had great luck with RHAS 2.1 on IBM x345 servers (e1000 chipset), FWIW.
Screaming demons, those boxes.

I've also had great luck with CentOS on 1-3 yr old Compaq Proliants
(various models) but haven't tried on more recent models.  Anything that
CentOS works well with should also work well with RHEL and WBEL since they
are all essentially the same distro.