[TriLUG] Antivirus recommendation?

davis davis at skink.net
Tue Feb 10 13:08:08 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:25:11AM -0500, Wade Bowlin wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a antivirus solution.  I
> have 2 requirements:
>
> 1. Must scan/clean email attachments.  I'm using sendmail.
> 2. Must scan files on the local machine.  I need to scan the local files
> that are on the samba server.
>
> On goggle, opinions are a dime a dozen.  The ones here are worth much
> more! :)
>
> Thanks
> Wade

Wade,

I dont worry about virus's on my linux boxes.

Are you looking for virus protection on Windows?  If so, AVG makes a good
freeware virus program.  You can also use http://security1.norton.com to scan
your windows computer.  If you find one with the website, it
won't remove it for free.  One last thing you can do is run spybot for spy
software on windows.  Spykiller on the other hand is spyware itself and thus
worthless.

Here are the urls:
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
http://security1.norton.com

Oh yeah, security1 has a online vulnerability test as well.  It appears to be
a simple port scan.