[TriLUG] content manager for desktop PC

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Feb 10 14:25:13 EST 2004

Doh, just noticed you said "desktop PC".  Generally I'm of the opinion
that doing it at the server is more likely to keep your kids from
dinking with it.  But if you'd prefer to do it at the client side, we
recently researched this idea.  I will assume for the moment that you
intend to use a windows box for the kids.  If the kids are using Linux
on the desktop, squidguard and some iptables rules to block outbound
port 80 will do the trick nicely.  The things we looked at were
Cybersitter and NetNanny.  Cybersitter was found to be generally
unsatisfactory, in that it had quite a lot of problems under XP, as it
was never designed for a multi-user OS.  The same was true for NetNanny,
although NN coped much better.

Cybersitter also has gotten lots of bad reviews for generally bad
installation and uninstallation in older OSes, often taking down the
entire system to the point of requiring a reinstall.  Granted, that's
public opinion on the net, I haven't experienced those problems
personally, but we weren't comfortable reselling a product that might
result in that level of support nightmares.

[shameless plug] And if all of this is too daunting, you can signup for
Intrex Internet, and we'll filter all of your traffic and enforce it at
the router, for a measly $3 per month.  :)

Aaron J.