[TriLUG] where to go from RH9?

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Feb 11 12:13:57 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Christopher L Merrill wrote:

> 2) I have been told that there is not a direct upgrade path from RH9
> to RHES.  Is this really true?

Yes.

> We use the server primarily for CVS, mail, documentation and file services...as
> well as running our production builds and a few business processes.  Performance
> has never been an issue.
>
> Any thoughts about which direction we should go?

CentOS 3.  http://www.centos.org

It is basically RHEL 3 without the cost of entry/maintenance.  And RHEL is
a lot like RH 9 so it is familiar ground for you.

The only technical issue really nagging the distribution right now is a
problem with Evolution which might already be fixed.  Other than that the
only thing keeping us from going "stable" is hunting down remaining Red
Hat trademarks.  It is a stable distribution, and will be supported as
long as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 is.  All the RH9 machines at work are
being reloaded with CentOS, and it has been running fine on a production
file server since Build 4 came out.

Join us in #centos on irc.freenode.net if you want to talk to the project
team.