[TriLUG] where to go from RH9?

Wade Bowlin wade at gotsvt.com
Wed Feb 11 13:42:27 EST 2004

Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> 2) I have been told that there is not a direct upgrade path from RH9
> to RHES.  Is this really true?

Sadly this is true.  I read through the the white papers put out by
RedHat on this and it leads one to believe (if not outright says) that
the move from RH8/9 would be easy.  I assumed there would be the "distro
upgrade" when installing - wrong!  I've had several problems with AS
since the rebuild from backup too.  Samba 3 is buggy and crashes
constantly.  I finally left the AS RPM and went with something newer.
There was a PAM module missing for SMTP Auth.  I have been really
disappointed.  IMHO, it is not "enterprise" quality.  I make the
assumption that the clones have similar issues also.  Prepare for a
complete rebuild and issues getting everything to work again if you go
the "enterprise" route.

Just for the record... I've been drinking the RedHat kool-aid for
years... it hurts to say this.

Wade