[TriLUG] where to go from RH9?

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 19:12:31 EST 2004

Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:

> If you are looking to change from Red Hat Linux, I suggest either SuSE
> Linux 9 or the Sun Java Desktop System .

I'll chime in and say that I like the SuSE distro, but...  if you
switch to it from RedHat Linux, you'll find that there will be a
noticeable learning curve, if you don't have experience with
SuSE.  I switched from RedHat to SuSE a few years ago (I've
since switched back, but that's another story) and found that a
lot of things didn't work the same, in terms of system administration;
like locations of configuration files, etc.

I haven't used Mandrake in a while, but at one time Mandrake was
as I understand it, basically a fork of RedHat.  And while they
may have diverged since then, I would imagine that Mandrake still
has a strong RedHat "flavor" and might be an easier migration path.

Also, Mandrake have committed, IIRC, to maintaining a free (including
downloadable iso's), "consumer grade," supported distro. Of course,
the concern with Mandrake is their financial situation / stability.

Anyway, just my $00.02 worth...

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org