[TriLUG] where to go from RH9?

Roberto J. Dohnert webwarrior at gnu-darwin.org
Wed Feb 11 21:11:00 EST 2004

Magnus Hedemark wrote:

>On Wednesday 11 February 2004 18:49, Lee wrote:
>

>>While Magnus may not always be the most diplomatic, his question is
>>valid. The original poster is coming from RH9 so something similar is
>>going to make an easier transition. Did you consider that before firing
>>off your reply?
>>

>What he said.  :)
>
>And yes, I am implying that Roberto has little to add to the discussion.  This
>is not based only on the one simple header, but on past communications.

Whatever.

>The recommendation by Roberto was also given without any explanation.  Is this
>advice based on hearsay?  Real world use?  Tarot cards?  Perhaps it is true
>what they say about the value of free advice.

I was giving my opinions.  Yes they come from real world use.

>Chris Merrill asked a question who's answer will have far reaching
>implications for him and  for his employer.  Passing on hearsay as an
>informed opinion isn't going to do him any favors.

Yes and I just gave him a free consultation.   Whether he decides to
take it or not is his perogative.  The point here being that you dont
have to post anything with the header information trying to discredit
anyone.  Im sure Chris has gotten many a message on this and Im sure he
will make an educated decision, like anyone else he is free to e-mail me
and i will give him a rundown of the features I like from SuSE and JDS
and he can even make a better decision and the stars will be aligned and
the universe in balance for him.

>If someone goes giving BS baseless advice on this forum, yeah, I'm going to
>call them on it.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.  if you think I give
baseless advice then maybe you should look at your own posts.

>  If Roberto knows what he's talking about, he will have no
>problem backing up his statements.

The benefits of both systems are too long to list here.  If he wishes to
get a clarification he but e-mail me.

>And his choice of operating system is very relevant here.  Yes, many of us are
>forced to run Windows at $WORK.  I spend about 40% of my time in Windows
>there.  But this is not his work mail.  He's using Windows by choice, and his

Actually i am on a work machine, Laptop and outlook is monitored and
cataloged so i do use netscape mail for personal correspondence and I do
have permission to do so much.

>exposure to Linux is less than that of the person he is giving advice to.
>Was I rude?  That's certainly open for debate.  But Roberto's personal choice
>in OS, experience with Linux and experience with this specific problem are
>all very cogent to determining the value of his advice.

Windows is not my personal choice in OS.  My personal favorite is
Solaris, but I do use Linux quite a bit, not to mention one of my
websites is a Linux information page to where i have a lot of
information on it.  just like ihave a smaller site dedicated to
Windows.  i dont care i help many people on many different platforms
with problems and I do it happily.

>If you want to drag this out, please catch me in #trilug on irc.freenet.org
>rather than clutter the mailing list further.  I'm ready to defend my
>position.

My correspondence with you are done because:

A) I dont care about what you think
B) I dont like your attitude, never have and never will.
C)  I have better things to do with my time

:)  Happy day