[TriLUG] Re: Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (FC2t1) initial impressions

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Fri Feb 13 09:32:51 EST 2004

Theer are two major things that the 2.6 kernel does very closely with
glibc: threading and syscalls.

On newer x86 CPUs, and maybe some other architectures the method that
userspaces uses to make syscalls has changed a lot. It should be much
faster now.

The method of creating threads is different too. I'm pretty sure that
with 2.4, threads we just sub-processes and the kernel didn't know
that they were actually threads. With 2.6, the kernel knows that a
thread is a thread and is able to schedule time for threads more
appropriately and efficiently (fewer context changes, I think).  This
new technology is called NPTL, Natix Posix Thread Library.

Last, but not least, there is the preempible kernel. It allows the
kernel to be preempted when it is taking to long to do something. This
especially helps reduce latency while doing I/O with slow devices.

To me, the new features of 2.6 outweigh the performance gains. I never
ran 2.4 long enough on this laptop to see if it was much slower; I
installed 2.5 soon after getting the machine.

-Nathan