[TriLUG] Connecting to the UNC Wireless network

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 13 11:09:36 EST 2004

Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Welcome to UNC!  You should also know of the unclug list (check out
> listserv.unc.edu for more) which has recently started.
>
> I recently got around to using my wireless on the UNC network too. I was
> uanble to do it at all with iwconfig, but got it working using the AUC
> utility from Cisco.  I set the essid and key as you suggested, then did
> dhclient eth0 to get address information.
>
> One simple question: have you registered your machine's MAC address for
> DHCP?  If not, that would do it.
>
> Also, try dhcping to diagnose where you are/aren't getting addresses from.
>
> Finally: does the machine successfully attach to the network using wired
> ethernet?
>
> ap

> Andrew J Perrin - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
> Assistant Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
> clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu
>

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Dmitry Rashkeev wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am a student at UNC-Chapel Hill, and a fairly avid linux user. At this
>>point, I have an IBM R40, the standard laptop sold by the university at
>>a discount to students. Needless to say, my first boot involved the
>>Mandrake installation disk. The computer adjusted extremely well to the
>>new OS. At this point, I dual boot between Windows and Linux, and things
>>could not get any happier. The only problem I have had so far was
>>getting the wireless driver to work. The card in the computer is a Cisco
>>Aironet 350, with a MiniPCI interface.

That's actually lists.ibiblio.org:

A recent post to the UNC-Lug indicated this as a solution:

edit /etc/network/interfaces and add the two
lines (with the key in the format noted):

wireless-essid UNC-1
wireless-key   xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

I haven't tested that solution, though I can verify Andrew's success
with the Cisco Client Utility: http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/

Wireless Software --->  Aironet Wireless Software Selector, etc.

peace,
Jeff